Riddle-Me-Rye is back in action after the winter break! Please find below the pre-order details for Saturday 26th January.
**Please note the following two changes to services going forward:
1/ Baba Rista – collections will now be available from 11:30am – 4pm rather than 9:30am – 4pm.
2/ Deliveries – a delivery fee of £2 now applies to all deliveries. Minimum order remains at £10 (including delivery).
No changes to collections from Piershill Terrace (i.e. 10am- 11am)**
1/ Pain de Campagne (French Country Sourdough) – Hearty country bread with a chewy flavoursome crust. Made with a rye sourdough starter which gives it a lovely acetic tang. This is one of THE classic sourdough loaves! A great all rounder – perfect for sandwiches, toast or with cheese! (Large loaf, £3)(Vegan, dairy free)
2/ Chia & Flaxseed Omega-3 farmhouse sourdough – this sourdough loaf is packed with flax seeds and chia seeds which are high in Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. We don’t consume enough Omega-3 in our Western diet and consume far too much Omega-6 with this imbalance having a profound effect on human health. For more information on why it is important to consume more Omega-3 and less Omega-6 see the following article on the Riddle-Me-Rye website. The flour used in this loaf is around two thirds white and the remaining third a mixture of brown & wholemeal (Medium loaf, £3.50)(Vegan, dairy free)
3/ Purple Sweet Potato & Gruyere sourdough – this new (and unusual!) sourdough loaf is made with roasted purple sweet potatoes which give the crumb a light pinkish-purple colour. The colour comes from anthocyanins which are a type of flavanoid found in red, purple, blue and black foods such as blueberries, raspberries and cherries. These compounds are powerful antioxidants. In addition, purple sweet potatoes are rich in fibre, vitamin B6, vitamin C and potassium. They give the loaf a beautiful fragrant flavour, which is complimented by the earthy nuttiness of gruyere cheese. I’m sure you’ll agree this loaf is quite a talking point and not something you see every day! (Medium loaf, £4.00)
4/ Double Chocolate Peanut Butter sourdough – I do hope folk are not still on a diet after Christmas as this new sourdough loaf tears up the January rulebook! 😉 Made with dark chocolate (74% cocoa solids), whole roasted peanuts and peanut butter it is another loaf in the chocolate series and this time a full sized loaf! It’s not pure decadence though as we use organic Mungoswells flour which contains plenty of bran and nutrients too! (Medium loaf, £4.00)(Vegan, dairy-free)
5/ Sourdough Bialys – These delicious chewy baked savouries are a customer favourite at our popup stalls. They make an excellent light lunch or savoury snack at any time of the day! They can be eaten cold and are also delicious served warm.
Bialys were originally made by Jewish bakers in Bialystok, Poland and consist of a round bread roll (not unlike a bagel), with a central pocket containing the filling which traditionally would be onion and poppy seeds. We’ve taken the original concept for bialys and made a sourdough version with our own take on the fillings!
Flavours available this week are:
- Bialy with white onion, cheddar & chorizo (£2.50)
- Bialy with red onion & gruyere (£2.50)
- Bialy with red onion & sesame seeds (Vegan, £2.00)
- Bialy with white onion & poppy seeds (Vegan, £2.00)
Also available are the following stock items:
Aye Pickled – Pickle Jars (£4.00 each)
Varieties available (425g jars):
- Bread & Butter pickles – wee cucumbers cured & pickled in a spice blend
- Thai shallots – pickled with lemongrass & kaffir lime
- Spicy Beets – golden beetroot pickled with peppercorns, ginger and chilli
- Hot Roots – root veg in a sweet brine with fresh chilli & coriander seed
- Pickled Slaw – This pickled version is an amazing alternative to mayo laden coleslaw
All varieties contain sulphites which are a natural byproduct of the vinegar fermentation.
Spice Witch Relishes, Mustards & Chutneys (£5.00 each)
Varieties available (all 205g jars except mustard which is 195g):
- Smoky Tomato Relish (Great Taste 2018 – 1 star)
- Plum & red onion relish
- Maple & Chilli mustard
- Carrot & Caraway Relish
- Mango & Chilli Chutney (Great Taste 2017 – 1 star)
- Raspberry & Vanilla (£6.00)
- Bee pollen & Mango (£6.00)
- Dark Milk (£6.00)
- Island Sea Salt (£6.00)
- Coffee Bean (£6.00)
- 75% (£6.00)
Loose leaf tea varieties available:
- Bruntsfield Breakfast (organic) – classic blend of black Assam (100g pouch) (£5.50)
- First Flush Darjeeling – first harvest Darjeeling, floral & complex (100g pouch) (£6.50)
- Evening Chai – Carob & cocoa kernels flavoured with cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and vanilla (100g pouch) (£6.00)
- Orange Pistachio Rooibos – Rooibos flavoured with orange, pistachios and pink pepper (100g pouch) (£5.60)
- Peppermint – Exceedingly aromatic whole peppermint leaves (40g pouch) (£5.00)
- Nana Mint – Pure Moroccan spearmint (40g pouch) (£3.50)
- China Gunpowder (organic) – Refreshing spicy and slightly smoky green tea (100g pouch) (£6.50)
- Aracha – whole leaf green tea with a deep green colour and bold taste (50g pouch) (£8.00)
Fortitude locally roasted Coffee
Varieties available (250g bags):
- Fazenda Cetec (Brazil) – notes of plums, port & brown sugar (recommended for espresso/filter/cafetiere) (£8.50) *Out of stock*
- Gaikundo PB (Keyna)– notes of blackcurrant, grapefruit & honey (recommended for espresso/filter/cafetiere) (£10.50) *Out of stock*
- Caldono decaffeinated (Colombia) – notes of sweet apple, citrus & caramel (recommended for espresso/filter/cafetiere) (£8.00) *Out of stock*
Please note that these coffees are supplied as whole beans. Can be ground on request (please leave a note in the comment section of the order form if you require the beans to be ground).
Orkney Craft Vinegar
Both of these vinegars are fermented in small batches on Orkney and are probiotic live products.
The Bere Malt vinegar is made using Bere barley which is an ancient form of barley in use on Orkney for millennia. It is aged in oak barrels and has a deep malty, treacle-like flavour. (250ml bottle, £8.50)
The Honey and Meadowsweet vinegar is made with pure honey & Orcadian spring water, infused with Meadowsweet. It is aged in chestnut barrels and has a light, delicate, floral/herbal flavour. (250ml bottle, £8.50)
That’s Jammy Jams & Chutneys (£2.50 each)
Varieties available (100ml jars):
- Strawberry & balsamic jam
- Raspberry & amaretto jam
- Edinburgh plum jam
- Rhubarb & ginger jam
- Ginger & apple chutney
- Hot Chilli jam
- Courgette chutney
Cold-Pressed Rapeseed Oil 500ml (£5.00)
Natural Oak Smoked Chipotle Oil 250ml (£4.00)
Dijon Vinaigrette 250ml (£3.50)
Honey & Mustard dressing (£3.50)
LoveThatView Tea Towels (£9 each)
LoveThatView ToteBags (£5 each)
Riddle-Me-Rye sourdough starters (established 2009)
Sachet of dried wheat sourdough starter (£4.00)
Sachet of dried rye sourdough starter (£4.00)
How to order:
Complete the order form below by 7pm Thursday (24th January) for collection/delivery on Saturday (26th January). Collection from Riddle-Me-Rye HQ (Piershill Terrace, EH8 7EY) will be available between 10.00am & 11.00am. Collection from Baba Rista (Parsons Green Terrace) will be available from 11:30am-4pm. Deliveries in Edinburgh by arrangement between 11.30am and 2pm. Deliveries are £2, with a £10 minimum order, and available only to postcodes in EH1, EH2, EH3, EH4, EH5, EH6, EH7, EH8 & EH9.
Please note that I can’t give a precise time for deliveries due to the variable nature of the route so I do encourage people to collect where possible if time is a factor. Once all orders are placed I will share my delivery route & approximate timings.
Products made using the following flours:
Mungoswells – Strong bread flour (organic)
Mungoswells – Strong brown bread flour (organic)
Mungoswells – Strong wholemeal flour (organic)
Mungoswells – Rye flour
All loaves contain cereals (gluten)
Purple sweet potato & gruyere sourdough contains milk
Bialys may contain cheese (milk) depending on variety.
All products made in an environment where cereals, milk, eggs, nuts & sesame are handled. Products cannot be guaranteed to be free from traces of these ingredients.