** The order book is closed for this week – it will open for next week on Monday morning around 9am**
Please see below the pre-order selection for Friday 10th May.
1/ White Buttermilk sourdough – This is a simple white loaf with a difference! Some of the water in the dough has been replaced with buttermilk. Buttermilk is the liquid left over from churning butter. On its own it has a yoghurt like quality and taste. However, in this bread it transforms a straight-up white dough into something wonderful. The lactose sugar in the buttermilk enhance the crust formation so you have a loaf with an amazing crunchy crust hiding a beautifully soft and creamy crumb underneath. Since we use Mungoswells organic white flour for this loaf there is still plenty of vitamins & minerals in it due to the presence of small particles of bran throughout the flour. This loaf was a Bronze Medal winner at the 2018 Scottish Bread Championships! (Medium loaf, £3.50)(Vegetarian)
2/ Three-seed Emmer sourdough – An ancient grain, Emmer is thought to be an ancestor of modern wheat and is closely related to durum wheat. It is suitable for bread baking and has been used for that purpose for many centuries including even in ancient Egypt. In this loaf we combine emmer with a mixture of sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds for a nutty, full-flavoured loaf. (Medium loaf, £3.50)(Vegan, dairy-free)
3/ Einkorn sourdough – Einkorn is one of the earliest cultivated grains, with evidence of its cultivation going back as far as 8650BC! It is a low-yielding crop which can grow well even on thin poor soil. Einkorn contains lower levels of gluten than modern wheat and is rich in protein, essential fatty acids, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin B6 and beta-carotene.
This sourdough is made with a mixture of organic einkorn flour and organic wheat flour then rolled in einkorn flakes before a cold overnight proove. It has a nutty flavour with a very slight almost fragrant finish. (Medium loaf, £3.50)(Vegan, dairy free)
4/ Roasted Butternut Squash, Gorgonzola & Sage sourdough – In this sourdough loaf the sweetness of the roasted butternut squash contrasts beautifully with the salty sharpness of piccante gorgonzola and the lemony bitterness of sage to produce a well balanced, flavourful loaf. The dough is given a dusting of semolina which delivers extra crunchiness to the crust. (Medium loaf, £4.00)
5/ Focaccia – Light bubbly traditional Italian bread made with biga (a portion of pre-fermented flour), focaccia is perfect for tearing, sharing and snacking. This week we will have the following varieties:
- Cherry tomato (Vegan, dairy-free, £3.00/slice)
- Red onion & gruyere (£3.00/slice)
- Courgette & parmesan (£3.00/slice)
- Rosemary & rock salt (Vegan, dairy free, £2.50/slice)
Slices are approximately 6inch x 5inch in size.
6/ Lemon & Vanilla Brioche Buns – this enriched bread is beautifully light and slightly sweet (we don’t believe in using loads of sugar in our brioche!). It is delightful for elevenses along with your tea or coffee and we certainly won’t raise an eyebrow here at Riddle-Me-Rye if you decide to dunk your brioche!
This variety is lightly flavoured with lemon and vanilla (Large brioche bun, £2.50).
Also available are the following stock items:
Varieties available (425g jars):
- Bread & Butter pickles – wee cucumbers cured & pickled in a spice blend
- Thai shallots – pickled with lemongrass & kaffir lime
- Spicy Beets – golden beetroot pickled with peppercorns, ginger and chilli
- Hot Roots – root veg in a sweet brine with fresh chilli & coriander seed
- Pickled Slaw – This pickled version is an amazing alternative to mayo laden coleslaw
All varieties contain sulphites which are a natural byproduct of the vinegar fermentation.
Loose leaf tea varieties available:
- Bruntsfield Breakfast (organic) – classic blend of black Assam (100g pouch) (£5.50)
- First Flush Darjeeling – first harvest Darjeeling, floral & complex (100g pouch) (£6.50)
- Evening Chai – Carob & cocoa kernels flavoured with cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and vanilla (100g pouch) (£6.00)
- Orange Pistachio Rooibos – Rooibos flavoured with orange, pistachios and pink pepper (100g pouch) (£5.60)
- Peppermint – Exceedingly aromatic whole peppermint leaves (40g pouch) (£5.00)
- Nana Mint – Pure Moroccan spearmint (40g pouch) (£3.50)
- China Gunpowder (organic) – Refreshing spicy and slightly smoky green tea (100g pouch) (£6.50)
- Aracha – whole leaf green tea with a deep green colour and bold taste (50g pouch) (£8.00)
That’s Jammy Jams & Chutneys (*All varieties reduced to £1.50*)
Varieties available (100ml jars):
- Strawberry & balsamic jam
- Blackcurrant jam
- Worcesterberry jam with gin
- Red onion & thyme marmalade
- Raspberry & amaretto jam
- Edinburgh plum jam
- Rhubarb & ginger jam
- Ginger & apple chutney
Spice Witch Relishes, Mustards & Chutneys (*All varieties reduced to £4 – last remaining stock*)
Varieties available (all 205g jars):
- Plum & red onion relish
- Carrot & Caraway Relish
- Mango & Chilli Chutney (Great Taste 2017 – 1 star)
- Raspberry & Vanilla (£6.00)
- Bee pollen & Mango (£6.00)
- Dark Milk (£6.00)
- Island Sea Salt (£6.00)
- Coffee Bean (£6.00)
- 75% (£6.00)
Fortitude locally roasted Coffee
Varieties available (250g bags):
- Fazenda Cetec (natural) (Brazil) – This is a rich and sweet cup with flavours of raisins, pecan and smooth caramel. (recommended for espresso/filter/cafetiere) (£8.50)**
**Please note that these coffees are supplied as whole beans. Can be ground on request (please leave a note in the comment section of the order form if you require the beans to be ground and whether you would like fine/medium/coarse grind).
Orkney Craft Vinegar
Both of these vinegars are fermented in small batches on Orkney and are probiotic live products.
The Bere Malt vinegar is made using Bere barley which is an ancient form of barley in use on Orkney for millennia. It is aged in oak barrels and has a deep malty, treacle-like flavour. (250ml bottle, £8.50)
The Honey and Meadowsweet vinegar is made with pure honey & Orcadian spring water, infused with Meadowsweet. It is aged in chestnut barrels and has a light, delicate, floral/herbal flavour. (250ml bottle, £8.50)
- Cold-Pressed Rapeseed Oil 500ml (£5.00)
- Natural Oak Smoked Chipotle Oil 250ml (£4.00)
- Dijon Vinaigrette 250ml (£3.50)
- Honey & Mustard dressing 250ml (£3.50)
LoveThatView Tea Towels (£9 each)
LoveThatView ToteBags (£5 each)
Riddle-Me-Rye sourdough starters (established 2009)
- Sachet of dried wheat sourdough starter (£4.00)
- Sachet of dried rye sourdough starter (£4.00)
How to order:
Complete the order form below by 7pm Wednesday (8th May) for collection/delivery on Friday (10th May). Collection from Riddle-Me-Rye HQ (Piershill Terrace, EH8 7EY) will be available between 5pm and 7pm. Deliveries in Edinburgh by arrangement between 1pm and 4pm. Deliveries are £2, with a £10 minimum order, and available only to postcodes in EH1, EH2, EH3, EH4, EH5, EH6, EH7, EH8 & EH9.
Please note that I can’t give a precise time for deliveries due to the variable nature of the route, however, if you wish to contact me after the order book closes on Wednesday evening I will be able to give a better estimate of the delivery time.
Products made using the following flours:
- Mungoswells – Strong bread flour (organic)
- Mungoswells – Strong brown bread flour (organic)
- Mungoswells – Strong wholemeal flour (organic)
- Mungoswells – Rye flour
- Mungoswells – Extra strong bread flour
- Shipton Mill – Ciabatta Flour (organic)
- Shipton Mill – Wholemeal Einkorn (organic)
- Shipton Mill – Wholemeal Emmer (organic)
All sourdough loaves & focaccia contain cereals (gluten)
Buttermilk sourdough contains milk
Butternut Squash sourdough contains gorgonzola (milk)
Three-seed Emmer sourdough contains sesame
Focaccia with gruyere / parmesan contains milk
Lemon & vanilla brioche buns contain gluten, egg and milk
All products made in an environment where cereals, milk, eggs, nuts & sesame are handled. Products cannot be guaranteed to be free from traces of these ingredients.